Sunday, December 18, 2011

Astrophoto: Lunar Eclipse Surprise by Michael Khan

Astrophoto: Lunar Eclipse Surprise by Michael Khan:


Astrophoto: Lunar Eclipse Surprise by Michael Khan

An airplane transiting the Moon. Image Credit: Michael Khan




Michael Khan missed the best part of the lunar eclipse last December 10, 2011. But it turned out to be a blessing in disguise when he captured this amazing photo above.


“Seen from where I live (the Western part of Germany), the Moon rose at 16:30 CET on Saturday, December 10. By that time the best part of the total lunar eclipse was already over. At moonrise, the Moon was already well into the Earth penumbra – with only the upper part appearing darkened.


Nevertheless, I had set up my scope (with a camera attached) on a solid camera tripod. As the Moon was still close to the hirizon when I started shooting, much of the detail was obscured by haze and atmospheric perturbation. Still, I was busily clicking away. Actually, I was much too busy re-pointing and re-focusing to notice that I had unwittingly hit pay dirt with one of the pictures.


I didn’t notice that until much later, when I clicked through the results of that session on my camera’s built-in screen and saw that an airliner en route to nearby Frankfurt airport had chosen the very moment when I released the shutter to fly across the visible Moon disc.”


Michael used an ED apochromatic refractor at 70 mm aperture and 420 mm focal length with an unmodified Canon Eos 1000D camera attached to a T2 adapter.


Want to get your astrophoto featured on Universe Today? Join our Flickr group, post in our Forum or send us your images by email (this means you’re giving us permission to post them). Please explain what’s in the picture, when you took it, the equipment you used, etc.




© dcast for Universe Today, 2011. |
Permalink |
One comment |
Add to
del.icio.us


Post tags: ,


Feed enhanced by Better Feed from Ozh



No comments:

Post a Comment